Presented by the National Task Group on Intellectual Disabilities and Dementia Practices (NTG) in partnership with WISE & Healthy Aging, L.A. Goal and WRC
This workshop is an added third day for those wishing to become an “NTG Affiliated Trainer.” The first two days of the workshop cover the topics outlined above in the 2 Day Foundation Workshop. A third day is added and is devoted to understanding and delivering the full NTG Dementia Capable Care Curriculum. NTG Affiliated Trainers are authorized to use NTG branded and copyrighted training materials to train within their own organization or to conduct training for outside agencies and organizations. Affiliated trainers have access to greatly expanded topic modules, trainer manual, free monthly NTG continuing education webinars, and are mentored by NTG Master Trainers.
Speaker: Kathleen Bishop, PhD
Workshop Topics Include:
- What is dementia? Does it present differently in adults with ID?
- Down syndrome and Alzheimer’s disease
- Challengesof diagnosing dementia in adults with I/DD
- How dementia impacts ability to function
- Early detection and screening for dementia (EDSD) in adults with I/DD
- Diagnostic protocols
- Key concepts of dementia capable care of adults with ID and dementia
- Shifting fromlifespan goals to dementia-capable goals
- Communication tips and strategies
- Behavioral and psychiatric symptoms of dementia (BPSD)
- Non-pharmacologic management of BPSD
- Dementia specific environmental modifications to help support function
- End of life care -challenges, opportunities, and ethical considerations
Register Here: www.regonline.com/dementiacapableCulverCity
If you are interested in the train-the-trainer workshop (July 24th), please contact Rhiannonm@westsiderc.org.