Date: March 12, 2020
To: All Service Providers
From: Mary Lou Weise-Stusser, MA
Directora de Servicios Comunitarios
Re: COVID-19 Update
Dear Service Provider,
Westside Regional Center wants to keep you informed of all information and developments that relate to the novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Please check your emails, the WRC website, and the WRC Facebook/Instagram page for up-to-the-minute updates.
WRC has implemented the following internal efforts:
- WRC has an internal COVID-19 work group to address any issues or developments as they happen.
- Public meetings are cancelled through the end of March in an effort to keep people well and will look into the use of remote participation. WRC is using social distancing as recommended by California Department of Public Health guidance. This includes vendor training and the vendor advisory committee.
- A State of Emergency is in effect as of March 4, 2020. Service providers are allowed to bill for absences due to the COVID-19. The State of Emergency also allows providers to bill for absences, “in excess of the average number of absences during the 12 months prior”.
- Early Start In-Person – may be waived due to concern about COVID-19 for determination of eligibility or service coordination. Evaluation and assessment activities may be conducted by remote electronic communications. Parents or Guardians may request this and the regional center will send a letter to the family/guardian confirming the family’s request.
- Early Start Remote Services – In-Person services may be waived at the request of the family/guardian due to COVID-19 concerns. These services may be provided by remote electronic communication upon the family/guardian’s request and will be confirmed in a letter to the family/guardian.
- Lanterman Act In-Person Meetings – The requirements for In-Person IPP or other meetings related to delivery of services may be waived upon request of the individual, individual’s representative or conservator due to concerns of COVID-19. A follow-up letter will be sent to the individual/ representative/ conservator to confirm this request.
- Exenciones de Exención de Salud y Seguridad – DDS has delegated to regional center Executive Directors to grant rate adjustments for residential services and/or supplemental services in residential settings to protect individual’s health and safety as a result of outbreak of COVID-19 outbreaks.
**This remains in effect for 30 days unless extended by the Director of DDS.**
To read the entire State of Emergency Plan, please click on the link below: