Board of Directors
Board of Directors
Coastal Developmental Services Foundation
Join the Board of Directors!
- Nomination Application (Printed Version)
- Download in English
- Download in Spanish
- Nomination Application (Online Version)
- CLICK HERE to complete the online application
- The online application is available in English and Spanish. Select your preferred language in the upper right corner of your screen (once you click on the link above).
What is a Board of Directors?
The people who are in charge of the regional centers are called the Board of Directors (BOD). They make decisions about what an organization does and how it is managed. Board members write policies that are rules and regulations to guide the organization.
The board decides:
- Who runs the organization;
- How the organization will operate;
- How much money will be spent;
- What the organization does for the community; and
- Who is selected to be on the Board.
How are they selected?
Members are selected to represent different groups from the community. The Lanterman Act says that 50% of the regional center Board of Directors must be adults with developmental disabilities and/or family members of an individual with developmental disabilities. All regional center board members are volunteers who want to make sure the regional center does a good job helping people with developmental disabilities.
The Board of Directors reflects the geographic and ethnic characteristics of the area served. Westside Regional Center’s Board of Directors are composed of:
- individuals who have demonstrated interest in, or knowledge of, developmental disabilities;
- persons with fiscal expertise, governance, or management experience; and
- representatives of each of the various categories of disability to be served by the corporation.
What are their roles and responsibilities?
A board is led by officers. They have required jobs that help the Board run smoothly and carry out its mission. All Boards must have at least two officers.
- The President leads the Board and its activities. They run the Board in a business-like manner and follow all laws. The President leads the meetings and chairs the Board’s Executive Committee.
- The Vice President is the backup for the Board President. The Vice President is often assigned additional duties such as chairing special committees. They lead the meeting when the president is not there.
- The Secretary makes sure the Board business is documented with minutes of meetings and all-important decisions. They ensure records of the Board are up to date.
- The Treasurer makes sure financial records are complete. They provide timely reports to the Board and ensure an audit [official review] of the organization’s finances is done.
Members of the Board are responsible for making sure the organization follows the law and its budget. Members must be informed about community needs and the organization’s services. Members’ responsibilities include:
- Prepare for meetings and complete assignments
- Understand and follow the bylaws (rules that explain how a board runs)
- Stay informed about important issues that affect the organization
- Keep important information confidential
- Give opinions on issues
- Work as a team member
- Understand and practice meeting rules and codes of conduct
The Board hires an Executive Director to run the organization. The Executive Director carries out the Board policies so the organization meets its goals. The Executive Director hires employees to do the work.
The WRC Board of Directors typically meets on the first Wednesday of every month at 6:00 PM. All meetings are open to the public and everyone is permitted to attend.
Sub-Committees of the Board
Several committees to the Board of Directors carry out work and projects then report back to the Board. These committees include the Client Services Committee, Consumer Advisory Committee, Equity Committee, Executive Committee, Finance Committee, Nominating Committee, Political Action Committee, and the Service Provider Advisory Committee. If you would like to read more about what these committees do, please click here. If you are interested in joining any of these committees and would like additional information, please view the schedule of meetings or email PeggyB@WestsideRC.org